As your family gets bigger, you start to realise you desperately need more space in your home. But any changes to your home often comes at a price. It takes a lot of time and causes a lot of disruption to remodel or extend. So how do you make it worth the effort?
The key to any successful home makeover is to make the end result both practical and added value. You want to make your investment back by it increasing the value of your home. You also want the project to make your life easier and more comfortable. Here are the top five projects you might choose to take on soon:
- Extra Room – Whether it is a bedroom in the loft space, or a playroom in the garage, creating another room can add value to your home. You may need another bedroom because the kids need their own space. Or perhaps a games room in the garage will give you the peace and quiet you need to work! Check your local regulations for these kinds of building work. It is likely it will need to be undertaken and signed off by certified professionals.
Image courtesy of Flickr.com
- Functional Kitchen – Many kitchens are just too small for a large family. You may need to open up the room into the dining area to create the space you need. Perhaps you are after space for a tumble dryer and dishwasher to make your life easier? Creating a utility space helps you redesign your kitchen to be more functional. You’ll need ventilation and plumbing here, so you might require the professionals to come in and help. A sink in the utility is very handy for rinsing out dirty clothes from the kids too!
- Extra Bathroom – As the kids get older, it can be a mad rush in the morning to get to school on time. You may find not everybody can get enough time in the bathroom. Building an en-suite or a second bathroom can help you have the private space you are looking for. You don’t need to spend a lot of money. Cheap showers and sinks are usually adequate. Converting a wardrobe space is usually the best way to fit another bathroom in.
- Conservatory – These are not offering as much added value as they used to. But they are great for providing that extra entertaining space without the hassle of planning permission. They are light and airy spaces that usually open up onto the garden. This means they are ideal for a quiet reading room for the family to enjoy some time together.
- Garden Room – Gardens that have been designed with entertaining in mind are becoming more popular. They provide the space for dining as well as a little area for the kids to play together. For you, they give you the space you need to accommodate guests at the table. Garden rooms are usually open on just one or two sides, so can still be used in a shower.
Home improvements are something more and more people are opting for. This is cheaper and easier than trying to move house in a lot of cases. What will you improve today?